Golden Olympic Moments – Gymnastics – Pommel Horse
Golden Olympic routines of extraordinary pommel horse workers in men’s artistic gymnastics.
Comments (10)|2 Liked It
Zoltán Magyar (Hungary) – 1976 Montreal & 1980 Moscow
Zoltán Magyar comfortably won the pommel horse gold medal in two successive Olympic Games with innovative routines that featured his eponymous skills: the Magyar spindle (turning the body in the opposite direction from the circling legs) and the Magyar travel (crosswise circling travel down the horse).
Dmitry Bilozerchev (USSR), Zsolt Borkai (Hungary) & Lubomir Geraskov (Bulgaria) – 1988 Seoul
Vitaly Scherbo (EUN/Belarus) & Pae Gil-Su (North Korea) – 1992 Barcelona
All-around champion Vitaly Scherbo captured his fourth gold medal with an Olympic title on pommel horse; he would eventually win a total of 6 out of possible 8 awarded gold medals in one of the most dominant performances in history. Tying Scherbo for the title was Pae Gil-Su, who executed a seamless but difficult routine with exemplary form and technique.
Donghua Li (Switzerland) – 1996 Atlanta
Chinese-born gymnast Donghua Li finally won the 1995 World, 1996 European and 1996 Olympic titles on pommel horse after 5 years of waiting to acquire citizenship since his emigration to Switzerland.
Marius Urzică (Romania) – 2000 Sydney
Regarded as one of the greatest masters on pommel horse along with Miroslav Cerar and Zoltán Magyar, Marius Urzică performed a flawless routine jam-packed with difficulty to triumph over strong contenders that included Eric Poujade (France), Alexei Nemov (Russia) and Pae Gil-Su.
Teng Haibin (China) – 2004 Athens
Despite costing his team to finish out of the medals due to multiple falls on every apparatus, Teng Haibin redeemed himself by capturing the gold medal with a narrow victory over the defending champion.
Xiao Qin (China) – 2008 Beijing
Xiao Qin is a high bar and parallel bar specialists but is best known for his work on pommel horse for which he was won 3 world championships before winning the much coveted Olympic title.
More articles on Greatest Athletes series:
- (Almost) Greatest Female Gymnasts in History
- 10 Greatest Male Gymnasts in History
- 10 Greatest Female Gymnasts in History
- Greatest American Female Gymnasts
- Greatest American Male Gymnasts
- 10 Greatest Female Figure Skaters of All Time
- 10 Greatest Male Figure Skaters of All Time
Articles on the Olympics:
- Unforgettable Summer Olympic Stories
- More Unforgettable Summer Olympic Stories
- Unforgettable Winter Olympic Stories
- More Unforgettable Winter Olympic Stories
- Unforgettable Moments of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games
- Unforgettable Moments of The 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics
- Michael Phelps: The Greatest Olympian of All Time
Golden Olympic Performances:
- Men Singles Figure Skating
- Ladies Singles Figure Skating
- Men’s Gymnastics – Floor Exercise
- Men’s Gymnastics – Pommel Horse
- Men’s Gymnastics – Still Rings
- Men’s Gymnastics – Horizontal Bar
- Men’s Gymnastics – Parallel Bars
- Women’s Gymnastics – Uneven Bars
- Women’s Gymnastics – Balance Beam
- Women’s Gymnastics – Floor Exercise