Golden Olympic Moments – Gymnastics – Floor Exercise (Men)
Great Olympic champions on floor exercise of men’s artistic gymnastics competition.
Comments (6)|1 Liked It
Nikolai Andrianov (USSR) – 1972 Munich & 1976 Montreal
At the 1976 Montreal, Nikolai Andrianov successfully defended his floor title from 1972 Munich Games. He dominated the gymnastics competition by winning four golds (all-around, floor exercise, rings and vault), two silvers (team and parallel bars) and a bronze (pommel horse).
Sergei Kharkov (USSR) – 1988 Seoul
Li Xiaoshuang (China) – 1992 Barcelona
The talented but relatively unknown 18-year old Li Xiaoshuang captured the floor title mainly attributable to the rare triple-back somersault he executed for his first tumbling pass. Truly awesome.
Ioannis Melissanidis (Greece) – 1996 Atlanta
19-year old Ioannis Melissanidis was the surprise floor exercise victor with a score of 9.850, winning over all-around and defending floor champion Li Xiaoshuang, and 3-time world floor titlist Vitaly Scherbo (Belarus). The win marked the first ever Olympics gymnastics medal for Greece.
Igors Vihrovs (Latvia) – 2000 Sydney
Kyle Shewfelt (Canada) – 2004 Athens
The golden effort of Kyle Shewfelt was the first medal ever by a Canadian in any artistic gymnastics competition and the first Canadian gold of the 2004 Games.
Zou Kai (China) – 2008 Beijing
Zou Kai was a triple gold medallist on his Olympic debut, having contributed to the team’s gold, and the unexpected winner on floor exercise and horizontal bars.
More articles on Greatest Athletes series:
- (Almost) Greatest Female Gymnasts in History
- 10 Greatest Male Gymnasts in History
- 10 Greatest Female Gymnasts in History
- Greatest American Female Gymnasts
- Greatest American Male Gymnasts
- 10 Greatest Female Figure Skaters of All Time
- 10 Greatest Male Figure Skaters of All Time
Articles on the Olympics:
- Unforgettable Summer Olympic Stories
- More Unforgettable Summer Olympic Stories
- Unforgettable Winter Olympic Stories
- More Unforgettable Winter Olympic Stories
- Unforgettable Moments of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games
- Unforgettable Moments of The 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics
- Michael Phelps: The Greatest Olympian of All Time
Golden Olympic Performances:
- Men Singles Figure Skating
- Ladies Singles Figure Skating
- Men’s Gymnastics – Floor Exercise
- Men’s Gymnastics – Pommel Horse
- Men’s Gymnastics – Still Rings
- Men’s Gymnastics – Horizontal Bar
- Men’s Gymnastics – Parallel Bars
- Women’s Gymnastics – Uneven Bars
- Women’s Gymnastics – Balance Beam
- Women’s Gymnastics – Floor Exercise