How to Start Running
Everything you need to become a runner. Gear, equipment, and clothing; it’s all here.
Post Comment|5 Liked It
Let’s get straight to it. The important things a runner needs available to him/her are:
1. Correct trainers – find a specialist running shop that does free gait analysis. Gait analysis is when the way you run is watched, and the correct recommendation on trainers can be made. This depends on whether your foot rolls inwards too much, rolls normally, or rolls outwards during each stride. Correct footwear is essential to prevent injuries in the shins and lower back.
2. Running socks – do not wear cotton socks for running! You need socks that can wick away the moisture from your feet, preventing blisters and improving comfort. There is also a risk of athlete’s foot and/or infection with the wrong socks.
3. T-shirts – you need something that will be light and breathable to allow moisture to escape, particularly in warm weather.
4. Base layer – this is a tight-fitting material, usually Lycra or similar, to wick sweat away from the skin, keep you warm, and improve comfort.
5. Warm fleece – breathable, light, and fairly thin, for winter running.
6. Lightweight coat – for windy and rainy days. Go for a water-resistant coat over a waterproof one; the former allows moisture to escape while keeping the water out too.
7. Gloves and hat – for cold, windy, and rainy days.
8. Watch – preferably a GPS one that tracks your distance and pace for you. You can also have a heart rate monitor or foot pod (to track your cadence, or foot strikes per minute).
So, get out and start running! Enjoy.