Sports Trades That Piss Me Off and Don’t Piss Me Off
Sports trades that piss me off and don’t piss me off.
Post Comment|0 Liked It
I shouldn’t be pissed that the Flyers made a trade to bolster their aging defense. And I’m not. What does piss me off about it though is who they gave away to do it. I seriously think I need to stop “getting attached” to players on the team. Every time I do, at least recently, it’s not long before the player(s) is gone. Case in point: Mike Richards and Jeff Carter. My favorites on the team. Hands down.
- Saturday however…saw the constant “will JVR get traded” carousel of rumors come to an end with a resounding “yes”. So pissed about this! I’m not even gonna repeat the words I said when I found out about said trade, either. You know, just in case a 10 year old is looking at this. LOL. Sure the team needs some young, bruising defensemen but why does it always have to be at the expense of young offensive players? Sheesh.
- I’m completely not a fan of anything Pittsburgh sports related. It’s never been a secret. But I have to admit that seeing the news of Jordan Staal being traded to Carolina shocked me. I’m not saying the kid is touted to be the next Mario or Jaromir (though you can’t be next until he hangs ‘em up). But I didn’t understand why they’d throw the towel in on him. Until I read that he turned down a boat load of money to stay with the team. That made it make perfect sense to me then. If he’s not gonna sign on to stick around town long-term, get something for him now before he walks away and you get nothing for it.
- The Flyers made another trade this weekend that I was momentarily stunned by. Bobrovsky to Columbus for 3 draft picks. Now if they could just get Bryzgalov to be consistent, that would be awesome. There has been way too much of this revolving door crap with goalies in Philly and I’m dizzy thinking about it!
- Now for the single non-hockey trade to happen this weekend. Kevin Youkilis will be changing his “red socks” for white ones. Ever since he landed on the DL and Boston brought Will Middlebrooks up to take his spot, the kid has been stellar. It wasn’t like the “will they trade Youk” rumor hadn’t been churning already, this young’n’s emergence kicked it into high gear. Then there was speculation that the team would demote Middlebrooks back to Triple-A once Youkilis came back from his injury. Didn’t happen. Smart move on their part.
- And seriously, it’s been said so much since the trade went through just yesterday but that’s one hell of a vote of confidence in the 23 year old to ship the 9 year vet so he can play third in Boston long-term.
- Maybe as a fan of the team, I should be broken-hearted that Youkilis is gone. But I can’t do it. There’s far too much upside with Middlebrooks that I almost feel like saying “good riddance”. But that’s not right either.
All right so there you have just a few thoughts on different trades in two of the sports I follow with an almost ridiculous passion. Baseball more noticeably than hockey but whatever.